Getting your organization’s health and welfare plan benefits right from the start is a daunting task for any human resources professional. This course will teach the fundamentals every HR practitioner must know. You will learn about the different types of health and welfare benefits and the key components of health and welfare plans. The course also includes a review and discussion of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and its impact on health plans.
Key topics covered include:
- An overview of the types of health and welfare plans.
- Focus on key areas such as health care benefits, the concept of choice, disability plans, survivor benefits, pay for time not worked and the administration of these programs.
- The medical component of health care benefits.
- Behavioral health care, prescription drug plans, dental plans, vision plans, disability plans and long-term care plans.
- Complementary programs that encourage and support employee health.
- Employee benefits choice and flexibility.
- Aligning benefits outcomes with your organization’s cost strategy.
This course features U.S. specific content.
It is designed for the U.S. HR professional new to the area of benefits or who is interested in broadening their total rewards knowledge base. The course is also for the non-U.S. based or global HR professional with responsibility for U.S. health and welfare benefits. Specific areas covered include:
- Fundamentals of Health Care Benefits: Medical
- Learn the different types of medical plans, medical plan terms, characteristics of medical plans, medical plan coverage and how to stabilize costs.
- Fundamentals of Health Care Benefits: Supplemental Benefits
- Understand behavioral health care, prescription drug plans, dental plans, vision plans, long-term care coverage and how to design programs the support healthy employee outcomes.
- The Concept of Choice
- Learn about IRC Section 125 (cafeteria plans), the concept of consumerism and how to support it.
- Welfare Benefits: Disability Plans and Survivor Benefits
- Discuss disability benefits, disability income programs and integrated approaches to disability management. Learn about survivor benefits and life insurance provisions.
- Other Benefits: Pay for Time Not Worked
- Receive an overview of pay for time not worked and understand common paid time off programs.
- Become knowledgeable in benefits administration, including what it entails, key decisions that impact it and how to work with benefits partners.
This course will provide you with foundational knowledge and skills to understand employee health and welfare plan types and administer them effectively.
Ready to gain knowledge about health and welfare benefits administration?
This course is available in a variety of formats, including online and in-person.
Find a class format that works for you and register today.