Subject Matter Experts develop content that supports learning objectives for educational products and/or job tasks associated with the bodies of knowledge for certification products.
- Participate on a development team.
- Define the knowledge, skills and abilities required for practitioners to perform given responsibilities.
- Explain/document the processes required for practitioners to perform given responsibilities.
- Suggest exercises and/or case studies to reinforce learning.
- Contribute core content and original materials.
- Acquire information through formal or informal interviews.
- Supply source materials, reference items and supplemental resources.
- Add richness to content by offering first-hand field knowledge (e.g., anecdotal stories, case studies, best practices, tips, tricks of the trade) that can be shared with others to improve knowledge.
- Consult on issues that occur during content reviews.
- Meet all agreed upon deadlines.
Qualifications (or selection criteria):
- Extensive knowledge of the content/topical area.
- Current practitioner or consultant in content/topical area.
- Ability to bring day-to-day experience to the subject.
- Ability to clearly communicate to external audiences.
- Capacity to see projects through to completion.
- Varies by project.
- Project scope will be established and reviewed with the Subject Matter Expert at the onset of the project.
- Project orientation.
- Guidance on the development process.
- Conference calls or online development meetings, as necessary.
- Opportunity to define, evolve and validate the profession.
- Ability to network with other Subject Matter Experts and WorldatWork staff.
- Gain recognition by sharing your expertise and taking your place among the profession’s experts.