WorldatWork, the Total Rewards Association

Password:  Change  |  Forgot  |  Help   

Email   Print

Compensation  >>   Kenexa CompAnalyst Market Data Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first

Kenexa CompAnalyst Market Data  
Posted: 06/01/2012 07:55am   374 Views

My company is considering purchasing Kenexa CompAnalyst to use their market data.  We are concerned that, unlike other survey sources, they do not disclose the surveys they utilize to compile their data.  Therefore, we do not know if we are duplicating other major surveys to which we currently subscribe.

I would like to hear from anyone who uses CompAnalyst Market Data and whether they have similar concerns, or their overall impression, favorable or unfavorable.   

Private55579

Posted: 06/01/2012 04:30pm  

We get former Kenexa customer switching to our products for similar reasons.  At ERI provide information about the survey sources we use for our salary data.  We provide access to our sources for each user.  Unlike Kenexa we supply the number of the position that were surveyed in the selected area. Those are just some of the reasons our products are preferred in addition to the number of unique job titles, the unlimited free support we offer each user compared to the limited support they offer.  We have more granular geographic data and we conform to DOJ/FTC “Safe Harbor Guidelines.”  I hope this fact-based bias helps;)

Posted: 06/01/2012 05:17pm  

For whatever source you use, be sure you know what companies participated in the survey to ensure comparability with your positions.

Posted: 06/01/2012 05:57pm  

Malak many of the surveys you list are participant only surveys.  How do you get that data? Does that mean I dont have to participate in them anymore if I can buy the participant only data from you?

Private10790

Posted: 06/01/2012 07:17pm   Revised: 06/01/2012 08:33pm  
   (1 rating)

No, you will not get xyz's data second-hand from ERI.  There are a lot of good surveys out there like Culpepper's; everyone should participate in as many of the best ones as they can.  Please help independent salary surveys stay in business!  The handful of comprehensive surveys listed here last year that remain standing have shrunk even further now.  Too few surveyors still survive today and our tradecraft requires multiple robust sources.  We need more surveys, not fewer.

ERI does hundreds of its own surveys each year covering all industries and locations but does not use anyone else's data without specific authorization as identified in our publicly disclosed Methodologies.  As discussed in detail here, no other enterprise's proprietary survey numbers are input to ERI Assessor databases.  Nevertheless, we do list  multiple other surveys which may be of interest to users who want a narrower focus although we expect that our unique updated consensus estimates from multiple sources that are reported from the 10th to the 90th percentiles will provide more comprehensive reach than a survey drawing from a more limited observation sample.  That said, ERI does absolutely no consulting at all and only publishes the most current pay and living cost information on a subscription basis for professional tradecraft use:  all customers get exactly the same products because they are designed for universal applications.  ERI can't do limited narrow exclusionary samples like a specific 12 enterprises in an industrial park of 20.  Use your consultant for that, especially if they focus on a narrow industry subsector.

It is virtually unheard of for a reputable pay survey firm to willingly voluntarily turn its pay survey data over to a competitor for resale or rebundling.  Why in the world would anyone commit economic suicide like that?  Ask your salary surveyor to share its data collection questionnaire.  If they can't show their reliability statistics and regression analyses that prove they have real observations to count and update over time, their figures won't meet the Daubert Standards for expert witness reliance in federal courts.   

Private11449

Posted: 06/04/2012 06:37am  

Hi everyone - as this is a practitioner community and not a vendor forum I'll refrain from providing detail in this post, but I wanted to let you know that we are happy to provide information on our methodology, and customer references, to those who ask. Please contact me if you'd like more information - alison.french@kenexa.com.

Thanks,

Alison French
Kenexa

Posted: 06/04/2012 12:48pm  

We do use CompAnalyst/Kenexa data - and have for the last 3 years.  During our first year -  we tracked our other surveys (big name vendors-Mercer, Towers Watson, etc.) along with CompAnalyst to try to identify if the data seemed consistent.  It did.  So, we have continued to use CompAnalyst -- and have now cut back on some the of the larger vendor surveys and participate on an every-other-year basis.

We have found, for the most part, the data to be strong.  They also provide data on some jobs that are more difficult to find.  ERI is great for geographic assesor capabilities.  I would never use it for compensation data.

Private15973

Posted: 06/04/2012 04:22pm  

Similar to anonymous #4, we recently switched to CompAnalyst, and did so after comparing with other surveys.  I used the product at another company a few years ago and liked it then.  Here, we found that for the money, they had more unique jobs, more data cuts and extremely strong support.  If we can’t find a job in the database, at no additional charge, they will help us find it.  They post specifically the methodology used, and when regressing data versus using market data.  The service is robust.  Just like with any survey, it is not perfect.  But we are overall happy with the decision.

Posted: 07/02/2012 02:08pm  
   (1 rating)

There are arguable pros and cons to any data source but for the most part, there are several companies in the industry who are very good at what they do. I would be more than happy to discuss the features and benefits of Compdata Surveys. The data we obtain is 100% employer reported via our annual industry specific surveys. Please contact me at 800.226.1022 or email me directly at travis@compdatasurveys.com. I appreciate your time and consideration. – Travis Swanson

Top Contributors
Compensation

CONNECT WITH US 

Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Advertise with Us  |  Community Terms and Conditions

WorldatWork