Compensation  >>   50th percentile vs Median Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first
Private15613

50th percentile vs Median  
Posted: 11/16/2007 08:33am   420 Views
   (1 rating)
Is there a difference between 50th percentile and Median?

Private10790

Posted: 11/16/2007 11:18am  
   (2 ratings)

No.  It is also the Second Quartile.

Private10775

Posted: 07/24/2008 09:34am  
   (2 ratings)

Just a personal preference, but I think that the use of "quartile" is less accurate than "percentile."  Percentile suggests to me a specifc point in the range; while quartile suggests a range of data.  For example a salary in the first quartile of a range could be anywhere between the minimum up to the 25th percentile.

But I recognize that there are some WAW resources that use the terminology interchangeably.  Just be sure you know how the term is being used. 

Private10790

Posted: 07/25/2008 09:24am  
   (1 rating)

Quibble time.  Although I agree with your preference, Paul, the math texts disagree with our mutual preference, per http://www.mathematicsdictionary.com/english/vmd/full/s/secondquartile.htm and tend to define quartile the same as quantile (which shows the percentage below any particular point).  Suspect our bias towards non-math terms is influenced by the comp community's longstanding use of Range Quarters thus (mis)defined.  For example, when we say that new hires usually fall within the "first quartile" and super-senior vets are in "the fourth quartile," we really mean quarters rather than quartiles.

Doubt anyone really cares except the statisticians and they find it hard to speak clearly, anyway.

E. James (Jim)

Private10775

Posted: 07/25/2008 09:33am  
   (1 rating)

Thanks for the research and education, Jim. 

We better get back to work before our bosses walk through the door!

Top Contributors
Compensation