WorldatWork, the Total Rewards Association

Password:  Change  |  Forgot  |  Help   

Email   Print

Compensation  >>   Partial Day Absences for Exempt Employees Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first

Partial Day Absences for Exempt Employees   
Posted: 01/17/2011 12:04pm   134 Views

Our organization currently has traditional vacation and sick banks, we don't have PTO. Exempt employees are required to use either accrued vacation or sick time from their banks if arriving late or leaving early. If for instance I want to leave 30 minutes early to go to a game, I would have to use 30 minutes from my vacation bank. Obviously, we don't dock pay if the exempt employee doesn't have any vacation or sick time left as that could cause us to lose the exemption statuses.

We are considering loosening our exempt partial day time off guidelines and stating that partial day deductions for exempt employees can only be taken in increments equal to or greater than a 1/2 day (4 hours).

I am curious as to best practices in other organizations. Is a minimum of 1/2 day deductions typical?

How should we handle abusers in our exempt population? Should we leave it up to manager discretion whether to use time in less than 1/2 day increments on a case by case basis, or make it consistent that any time taken under a 1/2 day isn't to be taken from any accrued bank?

Thanks.

Private14572

Posted: 01/17/2011 01:03pm  

We use PTO banks, but exempt employees only have to use time from their PTO bank in 1/2 day increments.  Partial days are only taken as 1/2 days.  For example, if an exempt employee works 2 hours one day, s/he will only have to take 4 hours of PTO; if s/he works 6 hours, no PTO will need to be taken.

Abusers are handled on a case by case basis, but not by taking less than 1/2 day increments of PTO.  They are handled through disciplinary action/counseling. 

Private10790

Posted: 01/17/2011 02:14pm  

We have no minimum time-block constraints on our PTO policies, which encompass vacation and sick leave.  Every employee does submit a daily time log online.  I could take fifteen minutes off if I chose, but no one really cares and we don't penalize exempts at all for taking any time off.  That said, your modified policy seems quite acceptable and normal (a half-day is a lot easier to use as an increment than other alternatives).

Private10905

Posted: 01/18/2011 10:56am  

I agree with the previous posts.  The market practice would be to take 1/2 day increments of Vacation or PTO.  If someone is constantly arriving late or leaving early, they should be handled through disciplinary action/counseling. 

Posted: 01/20/2011 04:52am  

If your payroll system accomodates it, use hours rather than half days, since it is more accurate and doesn't waste employees' vacation or PTO. Why force someone to take a half day of vacation or PTO when they only need an hour for something? And why do you want people to miss more time from their work than is necessary? If your ees can be trusted not to abuse it, why even formally keep track of an hour or two here and there?

Private11409

Posted: 01/20/2011 06:57pm  

The caution here in using exact time amounts is that tracking that time (and correlating pay) could be viewed as treating exempt employees as if they are non-exempt.  Exempt work does not always correlate to 'face time' (e.g. being physically present at the worksite).  These jobs are paid on results versus time spent on the job.  Addressing any performance issues versus focusing hours on-site is the most effective way to address egregious violations.

Posted: 01/21/2011 12:49pm  

See here for payroll practices that do not violate the exempt status of employees, like having them keep track of hours worked and making deductions from their earned leave accounts:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/presentation.ppt#349,23,Payroll Practices That Do Not Violate the Salary Basis Test

Top Contributors
Compensation

CONNECT WITH US 

Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map  |  Advertise with Us  |  Community Terms and Conditions

WorldatWork