Compensation  >>   IT Support Staffing Ratios Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first
Private11281

   
IT Support Staffing Ratios   
Posted: 04/14/2010 05:17pm   127 Views
  

Hi everyone,

 

I'm trying to gather some data about staffing ratios for IT Support employees.  (e.g., Helpdesk or Desktop Support)

 

Has anyone seen any published guidelines on the ideal ratio?  Or, can you maybe tell me the total number of employees and the number of IT support staff for your organization?

 

I also posted this question on Linked-In and followed up later with this clarification in case my request wasn’t clear:

 

"For this question I'm thinking about a company with approximately 180 employees. Let's say 90% are located in the corporate office and the remaining 10% are remote. None of the traditional Helpdesk/Desktop Support services have been outsourced. The organization uses a lot of COTS applications and fairly standardized hardware configurations. Anything not COTS will most likely be maintained by the group that originally developed it. The current headcount allocation is 2 full time techs (mobile in nature) and one manager. Given this clarification, does the staffing ratio seem reasonable, high, low???"

 

A sincere thanks in advance for any information you can share.  : )


Private10790

   
IT Support Staffing Ratios   
Posted: 04/14/2010 08:09pm  
  

We only have a handful and we're a survey software publishing house, but we have MOTS applications, I guess, because our few core programmers use COTS to craft unique pre-programmed fixed but interactive applications.  Most of our staff are researchers, so our ratios would never be normative for any conventional enterprise, much less a consultancy, which we ain't.  The products are typically point applications filled with customizable functionalities that are either intuitive or easily mastered with built-in free unlimited training and every support options imaginable:  online, telephone, internet or interactive Help topics, tutorials, slide shows, occasional in-person demos, fully displayed printable methodologies, webinars, PDF manuals for those who want to kill a tree, and the free online courses demonstratiing most all practical tradecraft options (with credit hours available if one wants to take the final exam until you pass and pay a few bucks for the hard-copy certificate).   Bet I've even forgotten some of the free support options.  When you have standardized professional-level multi-media supports built in like that, you really don't need many Call Center folks to point to the obvious answer sections staring people in the face.

Just to be mean, I'm not going to define MOTS or COTS or POTS.  Sealed

You should add them to our expert-cue list on Eagles. Wink


Private34235

   
IT Support Staffing Ratios   
Posted: 04/15/2010 03:10am   Revised: 04/15/2010 05:41am  
  

Windsor,

The Gartner Group is one of the premier firms that provide intelligence for the IT industry. One of their IT staffing ratio articles is shown below. Also shown is a snapshot form that they used at some point apparently to assess a firm's IT staffing ratios. It may be worth a call to them to see how they could help you. Other articles on IT staffing ratios are also shown below.

Do You Have the Right IT Service Desk Staffing Ratio? http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=170174

http://www.computereconomics.com/page.cfm?name=Staffing%20Ratios%20and%20Trends

http://www.infotech.com/sem/industry-reports?sc=SEM_G_IR&_kk=it%20staffing%20ratios&_kt=c603c530-c689-45a1-9cb1-7276c4a2c047&gclid=CNeHjPO2iKECFQpN5QodSH-5Ng

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1051538.html

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5032068.html

Hope this helps.

Frank

 


Private10905

   
IT Support Staffing Ratios   
Posted: 04/19/2010 11:23am  
  

Information Technology has a report: IT Staffing Ratios 2010: Benchmarking Metrics and Analysis

http://www.infoedge.com/LanPag/IT_Staffing_Ratios.asp

I have never used it but it may be worth a phone call.  If you do order the report, it would be nice to get some feedback on whether you recommend it to the community...


Private11281

   
IT Support Staffing Ratios   
Posted: 03/18/2011 05:13pm  
  

Thanks very much Richard, I'll check these out !!!  Smile


 
Top Contributors
Compensation