Compensation  >>   OT or Double Time for Sunday for 7 day work schedule Search Discussion Posts
Discussions Help
Sort By: Oldest posts first Most recent posts first
Private19771

OT or Double Time for Sunday for 7 day work schedule  
Posted: 11/20/2009 12:12pm   115 Views

How many companies that are in Manufacturing for non-union, hourly, non-exempt employees; have Sunday for Double time for Sunday time worked on  a Monday thru Sunday work Schedule?

Posted: 11/20/2009 12:24pm  

Although not a direct match, we pay a premium for work performed on a Sunday (when Sunday is not a 'scheduled/regular' work day [non-shift]), and I am not a fan - not only bacause of cost, but for diversity reasons as well.  But, like many long-lived legacy issues, this one falls into the, "once you giveth, you can't taketh away..." category. 

Private34235

Posted: 11/20/2009 12:33pm   Revised: 11/20/2009 12:51pm  
   (2 ratings)

Tom,

Do you mean that Sunday is worked as one of the regularly scheduled five days of work? Or is it the sixth or seventh day of work in the week? I assume the first. Do the employees also receive a special premium for working a seven day schedule? I think that you have to stay consistent with your industry, since the practices of steel makers, power companies, and other manufacturers may differ.

For seven day workers where Sunday is one of the normal five scheduled days, I have seen them receive 1.25x for each hour worked on Sunday. Other times where a special seven day premium is received, such as 2% of base, no special Sunday premium is received.

You can find more information by researching the collective bargaining agreements at the DOL site: http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/cba/index.htm

This W@W Journal article may be useful:

The Total Rewards Professional's Guide to 24-7 Work Schedules http://www.worldatwork.org/waw/adimLink?id=16896&nonav=yes

This website is devoted to unusal schedules:http://shift-work.com/

If these people are Monday through Friday employees, I have seen double time paid for Sunday work in manufacturing companies.

Posted: 11/21/2009 07:13am  

Some of the major salary surveys, such as Watson Wyatt's, have sections on pay practices. You might try calling a few of them to see if they have the information you need for your industry or could extract it for you.

Private10760

Posted: 11/21/2009 10:26am  
   (1 rating)

In only slight departure from Frank's advice about remaining consistent with your industry, I would have counseled that exclusive of any legally stipulated requirements for the payment of premiums under federal/state/local labors laws (or ones required as negotiated under collective bargaining agreements I suppose), I would have said, remain consistent with your industry only to the extent that you legitimately believe that those practices are necessary in order to successfully execute your human capital strategy, via your compensation strategy and through your premium pay practices. 

I remember back in my early work experience, when I was employed by a big retail outfit, which of course was open on Sundays.  In the initial years we did receive time and a half for working on Sunday, but as times changed and both the attitudes toward working on Sunday changed, as well as the organization's ability to hire and keep workers who were wiling to work on Sundays (and maybe some of the practices of our competitors to more more limited extent) changed, the Sunday premium was actually "taken away".  And strangely as a result, nothing really  changed. The sun continued to come up in the east, the employees still came to work, new ones were hired, and the business still made money. 

This was a very early "compensation lesson" for me, that you incorporate certain practices in your business strategy and processes, not because they're fun, nice to do, or because of some sort of paternalistic attitude toward your employees, but because you believe they are necessary in order to remain successful, and as a means for hanging onto your employees - and if you change them, chaos will not (necessarily) result.  

Posted: 11/22/2009 12:34pm  
   (1 rating)

Yes, agree. Be aware of what the competition is doing, but don't feel like you have to be a slave to prevailing practice. You may have a better idea for lowering costs and for improving attraction and retention of employees than your competitors.

Private19771

Posted: 11/23/2009 08:44am  

What premium do you pay for Sunday, if it is 7th day worked for a 7 day work week?

2X, 1.5X, or other?  Thanks

Private34235

Posted: 11/23/2009 09:12am  

Section 12. Overtime Premiums — Seven-Day Operations

Employees working on necessary continuous seven-day operations whose occupations involve work on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, shall be paid overtime for work on these days only for time worked in excess of eight (8) hours per day or in excess of forty (40) hours per week, except as otherwise provided below:

(1) Time and one-half shall be paid for hours worked on the employee’s first scheduled day off in the workweek. 

(2) Double time shall be paid for hours worked on the employee’s second regularly scheduled day off in the workweek.

(3) Time and one-quarter (1-1/4) shall be paid for hours worked on Saturday or Sunday that are not payable on an overtime basis. Double time and one-half (2-1/2) shall be paid for hours worked on any of the designated holidays, it being understood that there shall be no pyramiding of holiday pay and holiday premium for such employees; provided, however, that if a designated holiday falls on one of the employee’s regularly scheduled days off, the employee, in addition to his holiday pay under Section 22 of this Article, shall be paid double time for time worked.

See page 109 of the following document:

http://laborpains.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/vol-1.pdf

Top Contributors
Compensation